THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI
Department of Student Housing
VILLAGE APARTMENT HOUSING AGREEMENT
Please read this document carefully. This Housing Agreement is a binding document that details a set of conditions between you, the Student (the “Student”), and The University of Mississippi (the “University”). This Housing Agreement guarantees you a space in a campus apartment for the Agreement Term specified below. This Housing Agreement may be terminated only under the conditions specified herein. Students and their parents or guardians are urged to read carefully the terms and conditions of this Housing Agreement. If the Student is under 18, a parent or guardian must sign this Housing Agreement along with the Student.
THIS AGREEMENT, made and entered on ___________________________ by and between the University of Mississippi
Department of Student Housing’s Village Apartments AND
Student Student ID Number
The University has agreed and does hereby rent unto the Student, the premises described as Village Apartments at The University (the “Premises”) and all common area appurtenant to the Apartment and to the Premises, to be occupied and used based upon the terms, conditions and provisions herein set forth. As used herein, “Premises” also includes the real property appurtenant to the apartment building, including the parking lot, as well as the Apartment for a period of one academic year or the remainder of the academic year if lease is signed after the Fall Semester. (The academic year begins in the fall semester continues through the following spring and summer sessions.)
1. The student agrees that there shall not be more than __________ persons including him/herself living in said apartment. Maximum occupancy in a two bedroom apartment is 5 persons, a one bedroom apartment is 3 persons and an efficiency is 2 persons. Additional tenants of the apartment can only include immediate family members as defined by the family group consisting of a father and mother and their children, who share living quarters. Additional tenants of said apartment include:
2. The premises shall be used as a private, single family dwelling only; business activity or any kind of illegal use of the premises is strictly prohibited.
3. It is understood and agreed that student agrees to accept and abide by the terms and conditions set forth in the Village Handbook and all University regulations.
4. No Subletting: Student may not sublet or rent the Apartment, or any portion thereof, or permit any person who has not signed an agreement to lease the Apartment from the University to use the Apartment as a residence. The Department of Student Housing may grant subletting for academic purposes (e.g. Study Abroad, Internships, or any other academic study opportunity). In each case, the Student must seek, in writing, approval the Department Of Student Housing.
5. Eligibility: Eligibility for residency on the premises is contingent upon married status, participation in a graduate – level program of study, age of 21 or older, or parent status. The Student must, throughout his/her occupancy, be a registered University student. Students withdrawing from the University while living in the premises will be subject to immediate eviction. The refund of the room rent is prorated based upon the date the room is vacated.
6. Discrimination: The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin in the assignments of rooms or in the assignments of persons as roommates and rejects all requests for changes based upon such reasons. In addition, the University complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing non-discrimination.
7. Rules and Regulations: Student, and his/her guests and agents shall comply with and abide by all of the University’s existing rules and regulations and such future reasonable rules and regulations as the University may, at the University’s discretion, from time to time, adopt governing the use and occupancy of the Apartment and any common areas used in connection with them. The University reserves the right to make changes to the existing rules and regulations and to adopt additional reasonable rules and regulations in its sole discretion. Student acknowledges that s/he has had access to and the opportunity to read the Village Handbook, which includes residential policies.
8. Natural Disasters: In the event of an unforeseeable cause beyond the control of and without the negligence of the University, including, but not limited to fire, flood, other severe weather, acts of God, interruption of utility services, acts of terrorism and other unforeseeable accidents, the University reserves the right to keep the Premises a safe environment by any means, including, but not limited to, temporarily or permanently removing Student from the Apartment.
9. Renewable: The student understands that this lease is renewable in the spring of each academic year unless the student receives written notice from the University stating this agreement will be terminated or student cancels this agreement by signing a contract cancellation at least (30) thirty days prior to the end of said semester term; FURTHER FAILURE TO GIVE THE UNIVERSITY PROPER NOTIFICATION WILL RESULT IN THE STUDENT BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NEXT SEMESTER’S RENT. No refund will be made unless proper notification is given, original keys returned, and the apartment inspected by management.
10. Entry: The University or its duly authorized representative shall have the right at any time to enter upon and into the Premises for the purpose of inspecting and/or making any necessary repairs or replacements.
11. It is understood and agreed that Student has examined the Premises, and by execution thereof, accepts said premises in its present condition.
II. Financial Responsibilities
1. Billing: Billing for the Village is broken up in three billings, billed by semester.
2. Services Provided: Rent includes the following: water, sewer, trash removal from designated collection points, basic cable television, local phone services, internet service, and electricity.
3. Application Fee: The Student shall pay a non-refundable application fee in the sum of $75.00 to insure against default under the yearly agreement hereby provided.
4. Damages: The Student agrees to notify the University promptly of any damage to the Premises. It is understood and agreed that the Student’s failure to notify the University of any such damage shall render the Student liable for any resulting damages to the Premises and shall result in the termination of this Lease.
Student shall pay for any damages s/he causes to Student’s Room, the Apartment or furnishings or appliances therein that are assessed. All students of the Apartment will be liable to pay a prorated amount for any damage to the common areas of the Apartment or furnishings or appliances therein if the responsible individual cannot be identified by the University.
5. Renter’s Insurance; Release and Indemnity Provisions: Student shall be solely responsible for insuring any of his/her personal property located or stored upon the Premises upon the risks of damage, destruction, domestic disturbance or loss resulting from theft, fire, smoke, weather, water damage and all other hazards and casualties. The Student by the execution hereof releases the University, its agents, employees or representatives from any and all liability for any injury to the Student, members of the household, guests or anyone on said Premises; and this release shall be applicable to the entire complex, including parking areas, walkways, office space, or any other common areas, but not limited to the same.
Regardless of whether Student secures such insurance, the University shall assume no responsibility, and Student or other party to this Agreement shall, to the maximum extent of the law, release, indemnify, hold harmless and forever discharge the University and its agents and employees, for any and all liability, claims, demands, action and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, theft, property damage or personal injury, including death, whether such losses occur in student’s Room, the Apartment, or elsewhere in or around the Premises.
6. The University shall not be liable for any damages or loss to personal property caused in any manner at said Premises and shall not be liable for personal injury or damage or loss of the Student’s personal property from theft, vandalism, fire, water, smoke, explosion or any other cause whatsoever.
7. Keys: Keys are provided for the Student’s use. Failure to return all keys will result in a lock change and such charges will be assessed to the Student.
8. The University has agreed and does hereby rent unto the student, the premises described as Apartment Number __________at The University of Mississippi for a period of not less than one semester. The student understands that a refund of rent will be made only upon official withdrawal from the University.
1. Entire Agreement: All University rules, regulations, policies and procedures (including those found in the Village Handbook) are incorporated herein and are part of this Agreement. No modification of this Agreement will be enforceable unless reduced to writing and signed by Student and the Director of Student Housing and/or his/her designee.
2. Waiver: No waiver of any breach of any obligation or promise contained herein shall be regarded as a waiver of any future breach of the same or any other obligation or promise contained herein.
3. Amendment of Laws: In the event that subsequent to the execution of this Agreement any state statute regulating or affecting any duty or obligation imposed upon the University pursuant to this Agreement is enacted, amended, or repealed, the University may, at its option, elect to perform in accordance with such statute, amendment, or act of repeal in lieu of complying with the analogous provision of this Agreement.
4. Dispute Resolution: Any disputes arising under this Agreement shall first be addressed to Department of Student Housing. Any appeals to decisions there from shall be resolved through the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs or his/her designee. These procedures shall be followed prior to Student instituting any other legal proceedings.
5. Severability: The invalidity of one or more provisions in this Agreement shall not affect the validity of any other provision hereof, and the Agreement shall be construed and enforced as if such invalid provision(s) were not included.
6. The Student identified herein agrees to be enrolled as a University Student while residing in the Premises.
7. The University reserves the right to remove unauthorized items from Breezeways and charge the Student a storage fee. Abandoned items left unclaimed after one month (30) days will be disposed, (“Abandonment”), as used in the contract, means that (1) you appear to have moved out in the University’s reasonable judgment because of substantial removal of clothes, furniture or personal belongings from the residence hall room and housing unit, and (2) either the date by which the Contract obligates you to leave such room has passed or no one has been in the room for five (5) consecutive days while the rent is due and unpaid. If there has been an abandonment of the unit, the University may remove and/or store all property remaining in the room or common area at your expense. Property removed after abandonment may be thrown away by the University if it is perishable (food, medicine, or plants) or worthless in the University’s reasonable judgment. All other property removed and stored by the University shall, after 30 days, become the property of the University to be either used or disposed of in accordance with policies and procedures. The University may, at its sole discretion, charge the student a reasonable fee for storage of items.
A violation of this contract term shall constitute grounds for immediate eviction.
This contract is not governed by the Mississippi Residential Landlord and Tenant Act § 89-8-1 et seq.
IN WITNESS THEREOF, the parties hereto affix their signatures on the date hereinafter referred to:
Lessee___________________________________________________ Lessor ______________________________
Student Housing Representative