SUMMER 2012 HOUSING CONTRACT:
May Intersession, Summer Session I, Summer Session II and August Intersession
1. PERIOD OF CONTRACT: This Housing Agreement is a binding legal agreement that details a set of terms and conditions that the Resident must follow. Additionally, the Resident understands that she or he is requesting a space and committing to on-campus housing for the entire summer session. The Resident accepts responsibility and understands that the Housing Agreement is for the full room rent charges as outlined in this agreement.
2. AGREEMENT PERIOD: This agreement is for the full summer session or for the portion of the summer session remaining at the time of assignment. This agreement begins on the day preceding the first day of classes and ends on the last day of exams. If a Resident should, with the permission of the University, move in or occupy a residence hall room earlier than the starting date of this agreement or after the closing date of the residence halls, the Resident will be charged $25 per day. Residents assigned to a room for a period other than a full term will be assessed prorated charges based upon their length of occupancy.
3. ROOM ASSIGNMENTS: The University’s acceptance of this agreement does not guarantee a specific room assignment. Room assignments are primarily made based upon the date of application and personal data listed on the agreement. No specific room assignment based solely upon a Resident’s request is guaranteed or implied. The Resident understands that the University makes all assignments without regard to race, color, religion, or national origin. If housing demand exceeds room-assignment capacity, the University reserves the right to use designated temporary room assignments pending assignment/relocation to a permanent living space. If a vacancy occurs in an assigned room, the remaining Resident agrees to accept another roommate as assigned, move into another room if requested, or pay the additional charges for single occupancy. Residents will be consolidated to the lowest available floors if necessary.
4.THE UNIVERSITYRESERVES THE RIGHT TO: cancel the housing agreement or change room assignments in the interest of health/sanction discipline, administrative expediency, or as considered necessary, cancel agreements of students declared academically ineligible causing loss of room assignment, charge and collect damage fees and administrative fines for unauthorized use of equipment; building or room alterations; health and safety violations; special cleaning as necessitated by improper use of rooms, public areas, and equipment; damages; or vandalism, change room rent rates as well as Student Housing and Residence Life policies without prior notice, enter student rooms as necessary for repairs, inspections, and enforcement of University policy, change room assignments for disciplinary reasons, catastrophe, effective utilization of space, irresolvable incompatibility of roommates, or the best interests of the University.
5. RULES, POLICIES, AND REGULATIONS: The Resident agrees to become aware of and observe all published rules affecting his/her status with the University. These rules can be found in these University publications: M Book—Handbook of Standards and Activities, University Policy Website and the Residence Life Handbook. The Resident may not sublease or rent a room space or permit another person to share a private room. The Resident shall observe all University and residence hall regulations, including but not limited to the smoking policy. Failure to do so may result in temporary or permanent suspension from the residence halls with forfeiture of all housing fees. Disciplinary action may also be taken by the University in accordance with established rules and regulations. Note: All residence halls are smoke-free. Smoking is permitted only in designated areas outside the residence halls and will not be permitted in (but not limited to) residence hall common areas, individual residence hall rooms, and non-designated areas.
6. CANCELLATIONS, WITHDRAWALS, AND REFUNDS: NO CANCELLATION of this agreement: for the May Intersession will be accepted after May 10, 2012, for the Summer session I will be accepted after May 25, 2012, for Summer Session II will be accepted after June 24, 2012, and for August Intersession will be accepted after July 26, 2012. Enrolled students will be responsible for the full cost of room rent for the agreement period. Students withdrawing from the University after the first class day will be held liable for the prorated cost of room rent based upon the date they move out of campus housing. This amount may be billed to the student independent of any University prorated refund. There will be no refund made in the case of a student’s being suspended from the University or removed from the residence halls for disciplinary reasons.
7. TERMINATION BY UNIVERSITY: This agreement may be terminated for disciplinary reasons by the University and/or the Department of Student Housing, including dismissal from the University. In the case of termination of this agreement by the University and/or the Department of Student Housing, the student will be financially responsible for the entire rental cost of the agreement period.
8. LIABILITY: The University is not responsible for the Resident’s or other person’s loss of money or valuables, or for the loss of or damage to personal property, and recommends that the Resident contact an insurance carrier concerning the availability of protection against such losses. By signing this Housing Agreement, the Resident waives any claims against the University for the loss of damage to personal property for any reason.
9. SPECIAL SUMMER CONDITIONS: Requests for single (private) rooms will be honored ONLY if space is available on a per-session basis. If space is limited, single rooms will be granted in the order that the Summer Housing Application and Agreements were received, beginning with the earliest application date. Visitation hours during the summer will be strictly enforced. Residents found violating the visitation policy may be immediately removed from the residence halls.
The University complies with all applicable laws regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity in all its activities and programs and does not discriminate against anyone protected by law of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, handicap, or status as a veteran or disabled veteran. 2077-P/2-06